It’s strange the word Disorder is attached to the word Personality.
We want to believe our Personality shapes who we are.
But from some, it may be a trait that feels uncontrolled and affects life experiences.
I’ve read it described as:
- Set of enduring behavioral and mental traits that distinguish human beings
- Personality disorders are defined by experiences and behaviors that differ from societal norms and expectations.
- Appear to deviate from social expectations particularly in relating to other humans
Hmmm. Societal Norms….ouch.
You decide what is YOUR normal. You decide if you need to CHANGE. It’s a matter of who is expressing the opinion, always think about where a person’ opinion is rooting from, “is it coming from a good place”. Even your own.
If you discover that you have a Personality Disorder that is making life complicated…you just took the hardest step (which is realizing) towards correcting the thought process/behavior you want to change.
& here’s a list I found: (Not to be confused with Type A / B Personality)
Odd or Eccentric
- Paranoid Personality Disorder
Characterized by irrational suspicions and mistrust of others.
- Schizoid Personality Disorder
Lack of interest in social relationships, seeing no point in sharing time with others, anhedonia, introspection.
- Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Characterized by odd behavior or thinking.
Dramatic, Emotional or Erratic
- Antisocial Personality Disorder
Pervasive disregard for the rights of others, lack of empathy, and (generally) a pattern of regular criminal activity.
- Borderline Personality Disorder
Extreme “black and white” thinking, instability in relationships, self-image, identity and behavior often leading to self-harm and impulsivity.
- Histrionic Personality Disorder
Pervasive attention-seeking behavior including inappropriately seductive behavior and shallow or exaggerated emotions.
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and a lack of empathy. Characterized by self-importance, preoccupations with fantasies, belief that they are special, including a sense of entitlement and a need for excessive admiration, and extreme levels of jealousy and arrogance.
Anxious or Fearful
- Avoidant Personality Disorder
Pervasive feelings of social inhibition and social inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation and avoidance of social interaction.
- Dependent Personality Disorder
Pervasive psychological dependence on other people.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
Characterized by rigid conformity to rules, moral codes and excessive orderliness.
- Depressive Personality Disorder
Pervasive pattern of depressive cognitions and behaviors beginning by early adulthood.
- Passive-Aggressive (Negativistic) Personality disorder
Pattern of negative attitudes and passive resistance in interpersonal situations.
Quoted from Source:
wikipedia.org – Personality Disorders
Featured Image Source: sodahead.com – many faces