Medical Conditions underlying (cause) Depression
There are a number of medical conditions that can mimic/cause the symptoms associated with Depression. When you begin treatment, it is in your best interest to have a physical exam and blood work drawn to rule out or discover any underlying causes. Others tests may include brain images or EEGs.
A diagnosis of the Depression alone considers factors such as the chemicals in the brain, learned behaviors, belief systems, environment, etc. when developing a treatment plan.
If there is an additional medical condition that is underlying the Depression, the treatment plan would include or solely target the underlying cause.
Depression can co-exist with a major illness or is a reaction to the illness.
Here is a list of some underlying medical conditions to consider:
- Hypothyroidism (Low) levels of the thyroid hormone
- Hyperthyroidism (High) levels of the thyroid hormone
- Sleep disorders: Insomnia, Sleep apnea
- Vitamin Deficiencies (Low Levels): B12, Iron (Anemia), Vitamin D
- Alcohol use or abuse
- Chronic Infections
- Degenerative Diseases: Alzheimer’s dementia, Parkinson’s disease or Huntington’s disease
- Structural brain: Stroke, Brain Tumor or Multiple Sclerosis
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Cancer: Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Cardiac Conditions
- Some Medications can cause the side effect of Depression:
- most blood pressure medications: beta-blockers, reserpine, lopressor, tenormin and coreg
- heart: digitoxin (crystodigin) and digoxin (lanoxin)
- calcium-channel blockers: calan, cardizem, tiazac, and procardia
- hormones: progesterone and estrogen (premarin and prempro)
- birth control: norplant
- oral steroids: prednisone
- pain medications/opioids: codeine, morphine, demerol, darvocet, percodan, and oxycontin
- barbiturates: phenobarbital and secobarbital
- anti-anxiety/tranquilizers/benzodiazepines: ativan, dalmane, halcion, klonopin, librium, valium, and xanax
- over the counter nighttime cold remedies
- fluoroquinolone antibiotics: cipro and floxin
- cancer treatment: interferon alfa
- lower cholesterol/statins: mevacor, zocor, pravachol, lescol, and lipitor
- virus: zovirax
- anticonvulsants: celontin and zarontin
- treat acne: accutane
- alcoholism: antabuse
Featured Image Source
Quoted from Source: abc news health article
Quoted from Source: webmd.com – Causes Depression
Quoted from Source: webmd.com – Medicines Cause Depression?
Quoted from Source: Mood Letter – oflikeminds.com – Maybe Its Not Depression