“Feelings and emotions are very powerful.
If you are not careful, your feelings and emotions can run your life.
A life run by feelings and emotions can be very chaotic.
Feelings and emotions cannot be always controlled, however, we can control our actions.
Sometimes what you are feeling can be overwhelming and it can cloud your judgement.
Making it difficult to control your actions.
Feelings and emotions are very powerful, yet, we can’t allow them to control us.
You should always acknowledge what you are feeling, embrace it,
but give time before taking action upon it.
Never make a choice in the moment (out of emotion) because
once you have cooled down, you might not feel the same way.
Feelings and emotions are a part of our lives, but they do not have to run our lives.”
You may have heard of AA “Alcoholics Anonymous.” It is a 12-step program that has been adopted by many other programs to help other types of addictive focuses in our lives that have made our lives unmanageable.”
Therefore, extending what was quoted above, we introduce Emotions Anonymous.
- We admitted we were powerless over our emotions — that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
* Please define “God” as you see fit to your life. Higher Power, Spirit, Inner Being, Intuition, Jehovah, Allah, Christ, Buddha ……… Adopt The steps to Your Interpretation.
Key phrases EA honors:
- Let go and let God
- You are not alone
- One day at a time
- Live and let live
- First things first
- Look for the good
- By the grace of God
- Know yourself—be honest
- This too shall pass
- I need people
- Keep it simple
- I have a choice